Sunday, November 14, 2010

Abstract Art


Abstract art is defined as art that does not depict recognizable scenes or objects, but instead is made up of forms and colors that exist for their own expressive sake.  This explained why I never find anything when I try to identify something familiar in the painting by tilting my head, squinting my eyes, etc. Why would the artist prefer to convey their message through something that is unfamiliar to the viewer. It seemed like someone inventing a completely new language and trying explain something as complex as feelings to me. I would accept it as merely a decoration but many abstract pieces are far from aesthetically pleasing and instead look like haphazard arrangement of colors and shapes that display no apparent meaning. If it is meant to affect us and our feelings, then wouldn’t we need to share the same experiences as the artist to understand what those colors and shapes mean? Aren’t such things a matter of personal experiences that differ between every person, how are we expected to feel anything if it means nothing to us. You might stare at it and invent a reason for it to move you, but I do not believe this is truly the effect of the art instead it is our minds assigning an agent for something that you feel you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment